This guide is for people who have care and support needs, their carers, and people who are planning their future care needs.
What is social care and support?
They’re services to help you if you:
- need practical support because of illness or disability
- care for someone receiving social care and support
Social care and support is usually paid for by:
- people who need services and their families
- by the local council’s social services department
Types of social care and support include:
- help at home from a paid carer
- meals on wheels
- having home adaptations
- household gadgets and equipment
- personal alarms and home security systems so you can call for help (for instance, if you have a fall)
- different types of housing, such as supported living services and care homes
Find out about different care services, equipment and care homes.