We know how important tasty, delicious and nutritious food is at any age. We take personal pride in providing a good balanced diet and can also cater for individuals dietary needs[…]
On this page, you can find information about the importance of Nutrition and Hydration: Nutrition and Hydration are essential to health and well-being. When well managed, they provide a vital contribution for people recovering from illness and for those at risk of malnutrition.The Willows follows best practice and offer *fortified and nutritional food that meets the needs of the Resident, and guidelines set by the Care Quality Commission(CQC).
Benefits of nutrients in meals for care home means:
• Residents enjoy stronger emotional and physical well-being and have more energy
• Fewer GP call-outs needed and less need for certain drugs
• Residents have fewer colds and infections
• Less refined sugar means fewer dental problems
Hydration in care homes
Elderly people generally drink very little water. It is mistakenly assumed that tea, coffee, soup, custard and sugary drinks have the same benefits as water.
Due to a study and report when residents drink more water, the results are:
• Healthier skin and less risk of pressure sores – and fewer sores to report
• Greater mental well-being for residents, sharper mental clarity.
• Better sleep – residents are less tired during the day and are more able to help themselves
• Better balance, fewer falls, greater mobility, stronger bones.
• Better digestion and less need for laxatives
• Better bladder health, better kidney function, greater toileting independence and fewer urinary tract infections (UTIs)
• Clearer speech
• Healthier blood, better muscle tone and less painful joints
• Healthier lungs
• Fewer colds and other infections
• The reduction in inappropriate hospital admissions
Meals and cordial drinks served at The Willows Care Home are fortified to ensure calorific intake as well as nutritional and hydration levels are maintained for our residents wellbeing.